Collection object: Photograph

Newspaper, The Illustrated London News, Saturday 29 July 1922, two sheets, two pages of photographs of the Civil War in Limerick city, on pages 158 and 159, headed The Relief of Limerick: Irish National Troops Capture the City after an Artillery Assault. Eleven photos, from top l. to bottom r., barricade across O'Connell St at Cruises Hotel from corner of Sarsfield St; Free state soldier in uniform with rifle kneeling on one knee pointing to a mine in the grouns in a barracks, the mine surrounded by barbed wire, the remains of a bed beside it; two Free State soldiers in trench behind sandbags at entrance to Cruises; two lorries with troops and goods passing through barricade on O'Dwyer? bridge; troops standing in breach and in entrance to Strand Barracks; civilians and troops on William St footpath, shop of T Auchmuty, no. 6, with chicken wire covering the windows, beyond bow-way with advertisement for the Turkish Baths inside entrance to bow way (this photo straddles the two sheets); troops standing in Strand Barracks breach; barricade of agricultural machinery across William St at jubction with High St - Wickham St; no 10, saddlery shop of O'Donnell on corner of Upr William St - High St at centre, shop of W Moloney beyond; burnt out church at New (Sarsfield) Barracks; Captain Hannon, wounded arm in a sling, with troops posing at entrance to Cruises; footpath blocked with agricultural machine, barbed and chicken wire. Text below re taking of Waterford and Limerick. Back of p.158, a title page with large photo of Dutchess and Duke of Northumberland; back of p.159, page titled Our Notebook, by G.K. Chesterton, with at centre, photo of unveiling by Admiral Sir Charles Madden of East Grinstead's war memorial. (Another copy 2002-0402)
Identifier: 2009.0131
Physical Dimensions: H. 39.4 W. 26.3
Date: 1922

Related Entity

Michael Colivet (associated with)

Related Collection

Michael Colivet (is part of)
Bookmark and Share
Phone: 00353 (0)61 417826   |   Fax: 00353 (0)61 415266   |   Email:

© 2009-2014 Limerick City and County Council