Collection: Ranks Collection

Identifier: RC1
Institution: LM
Description: Milling is one of Limerick's oldest industries and Ranks Mills which operated in Limerick from 1930 to 1983, became the heart of industrial Limerick. Ranks purchased the company form the Goodbody family who in turn had taken over the operations of other firms - Russells and Bannatynes. Throughout its existence Ranks was regarded as an excellent employer, with a well-paid and generally contented workforce.The Ranks Mercier Collection consists of the papers of David Claude (known as Cecil) Mercier, who was manager of Ranks Limerick plant from 1930 to 1963. It is arranged in three main sections: 1. material relating to Cecil Merciers training, his diaries and his personal correspondence;2.  relates to his management of the mills and milling matters including the Grain Tribunal, the war years, management of staff and production issues; 3. contains photographs of the mills from 1923 including photographs of staff in the former Russells Mills, images of various parts of the mill illustrating the milling process and photographs of staff at social events. Among those who will find the collection most  useful are researchers interested in industrial history, economic history, the impact of milling on the local economy and the impact of one major industry on the social history of Limerick.
Phone: 00353 (0)61 417826   |   Fax: 00353 (0)61 415266   |   Email: web.content@limerick.ie

© 2009-2014 Limerick City and County Council